GRADUATE STUDENT FUNDING PACKET
Graduate student funds are available to UA graduate students pursuing a degree in the Department of Mexican American Studies (the Master’s degree, the Dual M.S.-M.P.H. Program, and the Doctoral degree). The money itself can be used for Research Expenses (Travel expenses or for materials needed for research as well as membership dues to scholastic journals or associations), travel reimbursements to attend or participate in conferences (preference will be given to those presenting at conferences over those attending).
AWARDS AVAILABLE APPLICATION DEADLINES
- Master’s Level: up to $500 FALL: September 30th
- Doctoral Level: up to $1000 SPRING: February 28th
- Group Application: To be determined by budget submitted and funds available
For individual applicants: Submit one application per conference if applying for funding for multiple conferences. You may request funds above your limit, however, you must make a good case as to why you need additional funds and how they will be used. If the additional funds are approved and will be used to attend professional development trainings, conferences, or fieldwork, you will be required (A) to submit a paper (no longer than 5 pages) that summarizes what you did and what you learned; OR (B) to present in front of your peers about what you did and learned. For option (B), you would be required to make arrangements to give this presentation within two weeks of your return.
For group applications: you may request funding as a group if attending conferences or special events. Please be aware that no reimbursements can be done to undergraduate students in case there are any in your group. Multiple group applications must be submitted if you are attending as presenters/moderators or if you are just participating without presenting. Preference will be given to groups presenting, but explanation of the importance of attending without presenting can be made in your abstract. A budget must be submitted for each group.
Deadlines and Disbursements: No applications will be accepted late under any circumstance. Be aware that the budget submitted and the allocation given will be final. If granted an allocation to cover 100% of the estimated budget, but the actual expenses are above the budgeted amount then it is the responsibility of the student to cover the difference. No applications will be accepted to fund activities or travels done prior the deadline of this application. The award process may take up to two weeks, it is highly advice you do not apply for funds needed in the two weeks following the application deadline. Please remember that if you are traveling you MUST submit a travel authorization prior to incurring any expense and prior to your departure. No expenses will be reimbursed if no travel authorizations have been submitted prior departure. For information about per diem allowed, pre-travel policies and reimbursement policies please visit our website mas.arizona.edu/pre-travel as well as mas.arizona.edu/post-travel. Per diem depends on city and dates of visit, by FSO policy we cannot award more per diem than the one stated in their website whose link is in our website.
Number of Awards: Graduate Students are allocated a $5,000 commitment each year, allowing for a maximum of $2,500 per semester. Number of awards will depend on budgets submitted and may vary each application period. Any unused awards will expire by the next application deadline so if you receive funds for the Fall application be sure to spend the award prior to the Spring application deadline.
NOT COVERED BY THIS GRANT
- Things that cannot be charged or reimbursed are:
- (1) Food (Food, Snacks, Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic food)
- (2) Third party reimbursements (per FSO Policy)
- (3) Hotels cannot be pre-paid, only reimbursed
- (4) Does not allow honorarium for non-US Citizens
- (5) Scholarship or stipend (“cash”)
- (6) Technology (Ipads, Laptops, TVs, Video Cameras, Photographic Cameras)
- ONE (1) copy of the application (including the instructions page)
- ONE (1) copy of the following materials:
- Summary (up to two pages) of what the funds will be used for
- In your summary, please state how this is related to your program of study
- A list of departmental events you have participated in or attended
- Budget of projected expenses
- List of your other sources of funding
IF THE FUNDS WILL BE USED TO ATTEND AN EVENT, INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
Event name, location, dates, and purpose
AWARDS COMMITTEE AND REVIEW PROCESS
The Application Review Committee will be made up of three members:
- A MAS Staff Member
- A MAS Core Faculty Member
- A MAS Affiliated Faculty Member
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
1. The preferred method of application is via email: submit a Word or PDF version of your application, before the established the deadline to: SBS-MAS@email.arizona.edu
2. If you prefer to send a hard copy of your application, submit materials to:
DEPARTMENT OF MEXICAN AMERICAN STUDIES
ATTN: MAS Grant Committee
1110 E James E Rogers Way
Cesar E. Chavez Building, Rm. 208
Tucson, Arizona 85721