Built in 1891, "Old Main" is the original building of the University of Arizona.
Master of Science in Mexican American Studies
The Master of Science in Mexican American Studies is designed to be an applied degree. Students choose a particular concentration within one of the following areas: Latino Health and Wellness, Historical and Cultural Studies, or Critical Education and Migration Studies. All students take several core courses designed to provide the breadth of knowledge necessary for the understanding of key issues within the discipline. The following admissions policies were developed in accordance with UA Graduate College regulations.
Although the MAS department has a rolling admissions process for the Master's program (admitting Fall and Spring), to be considered for funding opportunities a suggested application deadline of January 15th for Fall admittance is recommended. Incomplete files will not be reviewed.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate work (last 60 units) is the minimum requirement for admission to our program.
- Statement of Intent: (Single-spaced, two-to-three pages) This statement should include professional plans, statement of interest in the M.S. program, and background in Mexican American Studies.
- Writing Sample: A 10 - 20 page scholarly paper that demonstrates your mastery of the subject and a clear, cogent writing style.
- Three Letters of Recommendation, preferably from former professors or professionals directly acquainted with your work and scholarship. Letters of recommendation from outside the academy may be given less weight in the final analysis). These letters should be current (no more than six months old), and must be on official letterhead. Please have your recommenders send their letters to the Department of Mexican American & Studies.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
- One Official Transcript from each college you have attended.
- Official GRE Scores, scores may be electronically submitted directly to the University of Arizona Graduate College using institutional code 4832. No subject code is necessary.
The department application is available through the Graduate College Application http://grad.arizona.edu/admissions/apply-now
You will be asked to upload some the items listed above to the online application. All other materials should be mailed to:
Indira Arce, Program Coordinator
Department of Mexican American Studies
César E. Chávez Building, #23; 208A
P.O. Box 210023
Tucson, AZ. 85721-0023