The Ph.D. program in Mexican American studies is an interdisciplinary research degree. An individualized plan of study that allows students to develop their own specialization in Mexican American Studies by integrating areas such as indigenous, cultural, gender, education, immigration, health, historical and comparative ethnic studies.
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete the Graduate College online application. Follow these steps:
- Create a GradApp account
- Complete your GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and "Mexican American Studies (Ph.D.)" under program of study.
- Choose the semester during which you wish to enter the program.
- Your application should now be initiated under "My Active Applications."
For more information, please contact Lucia Echeverria Madera (email@example.com).
Required Application Material
The following application components are also required:
- Statement of Purpose
- Statement of Intent: Upload a single-spaced, 2-3 page document including professional plans, statement of interest in the Ph.D. program, and background in Mexican American Studies.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Preferably from former professors or professionals directly acquainted with your work and scholarship. Letters of recommendation from outside the academics may be given less weight in the final analysis). These letters should be current (no more than six months old). They must be on official letterhead.
- Writing Sample: Upload a 10-20 page scholarly paper that demonstrates your mastery of the subject and a clear, cogent writing style.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended or are currently attending. Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded with your application. You must submit official transcripts, later on, before you can be officially admitted by the Graduate College
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae